Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Dying in Paradise

Today was a late appointment that had us coming back through the valley at sunset. With my client's blessing I stopped and took this picture of the mountain where I make my home. Looking at it, I'm reminded that where we both live is widely considered to be a northern paradise and an artists' sanctuary.
I bring my dog, a 60 pound shepherd cross. She's a wonderful ambassador. She breaks down barriers that I couldn't even approach. She's well behaved, interested in my clients, and affectionate when invited to be so. She makes the really tough trips bearable. It's good - no, it's great work.
I drive cancer patients to their appointments as a volunteer. Because of chemo, radiation, etc., they're not allowed to drive themselves. Many of these people are elderly or disabled shut-ins, without much money or family. They're most often not in a position of empowerment, relying on the good graces of the system, friends and strangers like me. I have the honor of speaking to these people for hours, good folks who didn't get the breaks most of us did. I receive the benefit of their perspective and wisdom. I am the lucky one here. volunteer

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you!

12/29/2005 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of the lucky cancer patients who was driven by Ian to my radiation appointments. I really enjoyed those rides and it was a truly bright spot in a difficult time in my life. I can't thank you enough Ian!!!!
Cheri

2/05/2006 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home